As a small business owner, you know that you need a website for your business. Youâ€™ve heard that you need to get a blog. But, what does it all mean? Here are some terms to get you up to speed in the world of business blogging.
- SEO: Search Engine Optimization. Hang around a chat room, forum or meetup long enough and you are bound to see that little group of letters a lot. What looks like just three little letters is actually what determines how successful you are (or are not) on the internet. Basically, think of it as getting your website looking good for Google. Donâ€™t worry; we can help.
- SERPS: Search Engine Results Page. Better yet, this is the long list of results you get when you search for something on Google. Your goal, as a small business owner, is to be at the top of that page.
- WordPress: This is the platform that changed everything. WordPress makes it easy for just about anyone to build a website, without knowing code, without having a tech degree, without a lot of time. Of course, if you are short on time, we can help you build a site in WordPress for surprisingly little money.
- Theme: Think of the word theme as the look of your site, how itâ€™s laid out. There are a million and one themes available for WordPress. Ok. Maybe not that many, but a lot.
- Backlink: A backlink seems to confuse a lot of people. Unfortunately, the internet is not a â€œbuild-it-and-they-will-comeâ€ kind of place. You have to work at getting traffic to your site. A backlink is one way to do that. It can be an article, a comment on another forum, or a link to your latest post on a social media site. The possibilities are almost endless.
- Hosting: No. We are not referring to a dinner party. Generally, you have a company host your website for you. In other words, they turn it on and let everyone on the net see it.
- Social Media: Donâ€™t groan. Itâ€™s not that bad, really! Try to think of social media as marketing for the next century. And, hey, if you really hate it, we can handle it for you. We live for this stuff.
- Branding: This new buzzword is all the rage. Branding just brings all your marketing efforts together in one place. Your logo, the look of your business card, the image you want to project to your customers, both online and in person, are all wrapped up together in branding.
- Local: Sometimes websites and keywords are geared to a national audience, like say if you sold window cleaning products through a catalog and shipped them across the United States. If, however, you are a plumber that operates just in a tri-county area, local keywords and marketing strategies would be more appropriate. Ask us. We have local experts on our team that love to talk strategy.
- Web Content: This is just a fancy way of describing all those articles and web pages that go up on your site. Sounds cooler this way. Hey, donâ€™t laugh; we donâ€™t make this stuff up.
If you knew all of these terms, awesome. If not, itâ€™s ok. Thatâ€™s what weâ€™re here for. We are more than willing to take some things off your over-flowing plate. We have a variety of different website packages for small businesses that can include everything from keyword research and content strategy to blog posts and social media. Itâ€™s ok. Itâ€™s what we do.