Meanwhile, SEO & search pros discuss Google’s voice search as it relates to “things vs. strings”, keywords possibly being displaced by topics, Google slicing Authorship in its search results by up to 40-percent, and what to focus on in 2014.
In the social media world, marketers note Facebook’s mimicry of both Twitter and Google AdWords, with its implementation of “Trending” tailored to and positioned next to users’ news feeds, and with its revamp of ads.
These highlights and much more await you, and hopefully will edify you by providing the latest, most relevant insights into the shape-shifting landscape of internet marketing. Enjoy!
Open Letter to CMOs: Confessions of a Digital Marketing Agency | Ian Lurie via Portent.
Contently Raises $9 Million To Build ‘The Plumbing For Brand Publishing’ | Jeff Bercovici via Forbes.
‘The Dark Lord of the Internet’ Used Sponsored Content As His Secret Weapon | Joe Lazauskas via The Content Strategist.
Will Native Advertising Ultimately Become the Norm? | Joe Pulizzi (podcast with Robert Rose) via Content Marketing Institute.
Brand Journalism: Breathe New Life into Old Content | Gini Dietrich via Spin Sucks.
Getting Unstuck: A Pocket Guide to Content Ideation | Wissam Dandan via LEBSEO DESIGN.
Ten Questions Content Creators Commonly Ask, Answered | via David Amerland.
5 ways to get through writer’s block or content marketing fatigue | Belle Beth Cooper via Buffer.
The SEO content writers’ manifesto | Heather Lloyd-Martin via SEO Copywriting.
Evergreen Content: Making The Seasonal Relevant All Year | Patrick Hayslett via Spin Sucks.
Trapped by tl;dr | Seth Godin via Seth’s Blog.
What Internet Marketing Clients Are Worried About for 2014 | via Blake Pappas, featuring Arnie Kuenn and guests Matt Siltala, Rhea Drysdale and Topher Kohan at Vertical Measures.
Will This Be the Year of Data Analytics in the Marketing Department? | Pelin Thorogood via ClickZ.
17 Variables to Consider When Choosing Email Frequency | via CopyPressed.
As Good as It Gets: What dating can teach us about email marketing. | Meegan Kauffman via Portent.
- Direct Marketing News’ 2014 Marketing & Tech Partnership Summit | New York City: January 28th.
- Integrated Marketing Summit | San Diego, CA: January 30th and 31st.
- MarketingSherpa Email Summit 2014 | Las Vegas: February 17th thru the 20th
- Content Marketing World 2014 | Cleveland, OH: September 8th thru the 11th. Early Bird Savings of $300 available thru February 28th!
- 2014 Content Strategy Conferences | Monthly schedule shared by Shelly Bowen via Pybop.
Savvy SEO & Search
SEO 2014: Focus On Utility, Differentiation, and Engagement | Peter DaVanzo via SEO Book.
2013 Hasn’t Been a Bed of Roses | Gabriella Sannino via Level 343.
Where’s the Search? | P.J. Fusco via Search Engine Watch.
Voice Search: Strings Not Things | Dan Shure via Isoosi.
Matt Cutts: Google Search Result Positions Aren’t Weighted Differently | Jennifer Slegg via Search Engine Watch.
7 Alerts to Monitor your SEO Process Opportunities & Issues | Aleyda Solis via State of Digital.
Will Keywords be Replaced by Topics for Some Searches? | Bill Slawski via SEO by the Sea.
Why Guest Posting and Blogging is a Slippery Slope – Whiteboard Friday | Rand Fishkin via Moz.
Google Cuts Authorship in Search Results by 20-40% | Jennifer Slegg via Search Engine Watch.
The Power of Authors and Content for Link Building | Matthew Barby via Moz.
Ask Doc: How do I Make an Image Ready to Use on my Website? | Doc Sheldon via Top Shelf Copy.
Schema Markup for Reviews | Carrie Hill via SEO Copywriting.
Free Local SEO Tools that Belong in Your Kit | Miriam Ellis via Moz.
Google Can Buy Nest, But It Can’t Buy Our Trust | Dan Hon via Wired.
- SES London 2014 | February 10th thru the 13th.
- SMX West 2014 | San Jose, CA: March 11th thru the 13th. Early Bird Rates available thru February 1st!
- ClickZ Live | New York, NY: March 31st thru April 3rd. Super Saver Rates of up to $800 expire January 24th!
- TechCrunch’s 2014 Pitch-Offs | Starting in Atlanta, GA February 18th.
10 Big, Recent Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn Changes You Should Know for a Better Social Media Strategy | Belle Beth Cooper via Buffer.
Facebook Revamps Ads to Compete With Google | Eilene Zimmerman via The NY Times.
Facebook follows Twitter with Trending, a tailored list of popular topics beside your News Feed| Nick Summers via The Next Web.
Google+ Is Getting Harder And Harder To Avoid | Selena Larson via ReadWrite.
6 (More) Interesting Facebook Tricks You Might Not Know | Jayson DeMers via Search Engine Journal.
What Tumblr @Mentions Mean for Publishers | Amanda Walgrove via Contently.
29 (of the) Best Twitter Guides, Tips and Infographics of 2013 | Tom Pick via Webbiquity.
The more connectivity we enjoy, the more disconnected we become. | Gabriella Sannino via Indelible Branding.
Content Plus Social is A Sweet Song to Sing – Interview with Amy Higgins of Concur | Lee Odden via TopRank.
How we built our HTML sitemap | Anna Majkowska via Making Pinterest.
- Social Media Marketing World | San Diego, CA: March 27th and 28th.
Photo credit to Peter (BrightGarden) via Flickr Creative Commons.
Latest posts by Laura Crest (see all)
- The State of the SEO Industry: A Conversation with Jim Hedger - July 18, 2014
- Doc Sheldon on Google’s FUD Blogging Blitzkrieg - March 28, 2014
- Weekly Web Gems: Top Shelf Copy’s Online Marketing News (Sunday Special Edition) - January 26, 2014
- Weekly Web Gems: Top Shelf Copy’s Online Marketing News - January 18, 2014